Pages

15 May, 2013

Scotland and the UK


Although the British government in London has governing power over Scotland, there has been a separate Scottish parliament in Edinburgh since 1999. The most noticeable reminder of this separation for me is the different bank notes. When I first changed money, I received the Bank of England notes. These are accepted in Scotland, but I always get change in the Scottish bank notes. 

Next year, there is a referendum on the ballot for Scotland to become completely independent from the UK. The general consensus is that no one knows what will happen. I haven’t talked to anyone who is fervently for or against independence. Generally the feeling is that they don’t have enough information to make a decision either way.

Bank of England Note
Notes from two different Scottish banks


No comments:

Post a Comment