Pages

28 July, 2013

Parting images

It's hard to believe I'll soon be leaving behind France and another beautiful garden! On Wednesday, I will leave Lautaret for Grenoble, where I plan to explore for the day. The next morning, I will go from Grenoble to the airport at Lyon and fly to England. After a layover at Heathrow (hopefully it will go smoothly this time!), I will arrive in Philadelphia Thursday night!

I feel very lucky to have spent these past months at amazing gardens with many friendly and knowledgeable people! Out of all I've learned, one thing I know for sure is that I always want to keep traveling!

On to some pictures from Lautaret:

Berardia subcaulis, growing on the top of the tufa wall in the garden, grows naturally in isolated areas of limestone scree in the southwest Alps. It is considered a relic species from the Tertiary period, when the climate was more subtropical. When glaciation occurred, the plant took refuge in the scree areas where it is found today!

Geum rivale subsp. islandica grows in the Arctic, where alpine conditions can occur at sea level.
The garden is surrounded by subalpine fescue meadows, which are also maintained within the garden. Special signage points out some of the more than 50 plant species that are native to the meadows.

Campanula thyrsoides 
One of the labels that is used in the rest of the garden. I like how the family name is listed first.

Nigritella rhelicanii, a wild orchid found in the meadow smells like vanilla!

Just outside of the garden, a Dianthus is striking against the rocks. 




No comments:

Post a Comment